The year Cathy and I moved to El Dorado in the fall of 1971 I was approached by Dr. Paul Henley, a local surgeon and also president of the school board. He told me he had been the El Dorado Wildcat team doctor for over twenty years and was ready to step down. He said he was going to appoint me as the new team doctor with the intent of later appointing me as a member of the school board when he retired. I was definitely interested in the team doctor position, but was skeptical of serving on the school board. At the time I didn’t understand despite Dr. Henley’s good intentions he did not have the authority to appoint me to the school board. He did however, have the authority to appoint me as team doctor, so I accepted. I later discovered no other doctor in town wanted the responsibility of what I thought was a coveted position!
There were several good reasons I wanted to serve as team doctor. I am a sport’s enthusiast and wanted to use this opportunity to spend time with our son John who was five years old when we moved. I knew we would be able to make some of the away games together, and for all the home games he could be down on the sidelines with me. On one of the early out-of-town games we rode in the team bus, but I soon realized we were taking two seats for players who otherwise might travel with the team. I drove my car on all subsequent trips which gave John and me more time together without distractions.
Over the next twenty years I really enjoyed my relationships with the coaches, the players and all the ancillary people involved in the high school sports scene at El Dorado. I got to know quite a few of the parents who regularly attended their sons’ games and had to answer more than a few questions concerning injuries their sons might have had and the long-term consequences. Two men with whom I developed an excellent relationship as a result of my position were the Superintendents, Dean Tommey and later Bob Watson. For the last few years of my service Bob Watson and I would ride together to many of the out-of-town games, and this was a special blessing for me.
The most unusual and potentially serious situation which very few team doctors have ever faced occurred one Friday night when we were playing an unnamed state school at home in Memorial Stadium. The weather was miserable as there was a constant drizzling rain throughout the entire game. Fortunately there was no lightning so the game could be completed, but in hindsight it would have been better in all respects had the game been cancelled. Our team was soundly defeated, and there were several players who sustained injuries which caused them to miss several subsequent games. The real problem occurred at the end of the game and didn’t involve the football team at all. It involved about one half of the visiting team’s band!
When the final buzzer sounded and I was preparing to go into our dressing room to evaluate any injured player someone shouted I was needed on the south end of the field at the twenty-five yard line. There was so much rain and with players and fans mingling on the field I couldn’t see what had happened. While hurrying there someone said a visiting band member had fainted on the field. As I arrived at the student she was lying on her back with her band marching cap still on and had her eyes closed. With the rain beating on her face, she still had a blink reflex so I knew she was conscious. I felt her carotid pulse which was elevated giving me more confidence her condition was not life threatening. When I asked her what had happened she said, “I think I have been poisoned.” I asked, “How do you think that happened? to which she responded, “Maybe it was the chips and queso I ate.” It began to sound phony, because she was not complaining of stomach pains and had not vomited.
While talking with her someone shouted, “There’s another one down, and another, and a whole bunch!” I saw at least twelve to fifteen band members down on the ground some rolling and moaning while others were lying quietly holding their stomach as if in pain. I hurriedly moved to three or four students, all band members, and found the same findings with nothing appearing serious. While kneeling and talking to one student in this mass of confusion there was a gentleman standing upright, quietly looking down at this one. He seemed to be in control of his emotions, and I asked him who he was. He identified himself as the Principal of the visiting school. I asked him what he thought was happening and he said, “I think this is an hysterical bunch of n******.” My response to him was, “The only thing I know is you need to be responsible for getting everyone who claims to have been poisoned to the emergency room of our hospital.” We certainly didn’t have ambulance space for this large number of students on the field, and they did have a band bus.
I went to the dressing room and alerted the emergency room there might be as many as fifty students who were coming to the ER all claiming to have been poisoned. I told the ER nurse to call every available physician to come provide care for this mass casualty situation. By the time I arrived Dr. Jacob Ellis, an internist had arrived and had taken charge of the emergency situation. There were at least ten other physicians who had responded and were beginning to assess the students. After questioning the first student I took Dr. Ellis aside and told him I believed I could solve this problem.
I asked if he would allow me to choose one student who was complaining the loudest, and I would insert a large gastric lavage tube into his stomach and pump all the contents from his stomach. It would empty his stomach within sixty seconds, but would be associated with much retching and gagging. When the other students saw this they would quickly exit the emergency room unless they were truly sick. He declined saying medico-legally we were obligated to treat each one as a possible poisoning, which included blood work, toxicology screening and observation for increasing symptoms. It took over three hours, but eventually all the students were deemed healthy and released. It had all been a giant prank!
The ER bill for all this work was sent to the visiting high school, but I never learned how it was settled. It was probably in the range of $10-15,000 for a prank these students devised. We later learned they had done the same thing in another town about a month earlier. I can only imagine the disciplinary action the school principal took on these band members.
I still wish I had been allowed to pump out that student’s stomach. It probably would have saved the visiting school a lot of money. At least we learned the chips and queso sold by our stadium concessions were safe to eat and did not contain some serious bacteria!